Welcome! My hobby-web is here to share useful information about playing 12 holes mouth chromatic harmonica (C tuning). Chromatic harmonica is a great, underrated instrument with many benefits:
- the player needn´t have knowledge of musical theory, the musical ear or nimble fingers...
- it is possible to start learning harmonica at any age (5 or 85 y/o)
- harmonica can be used at any kind of music and on various levels
- it is relatively cheap; with minimum requirements for maintenance
- it is lightweight and portable - can be carried and played wherever you are
- playing is useful for our brain: improves cooperation of both hemispheres, practice memory, imagination and creativity
- has beneficial influence also on the lungs: improving capacity and supports the diaphragmatic breathing; harmonica is the only musical instrument that uses both exhale and inhale
- while practicing with tablatures the player will adopt some musical theory (painless, gently)
- harmonica can be the only possible musical instrument for some physically handicapped people
- at last but not least it is source of joy and musical self-fulfillment
There are 4 principles that make playing chromatica much easier for the beginners:
1) Play "the whistle method" not tongue blocking
Blowing into one slot is natural and easy. This way we can practice long time. To block some slots with tongue is (for the beginner) tiring and pointless.
Tongue blocking, as advanced technique, is
useful for advanced players.
2) Play in the middle of the harmonica
This means harmonica will play an octave higher, but the playing will be much more comfortable. We will not have to play the difficult low slots and our range will fit to songs from songbooks or MuseScore. Advanced players can change octaves as they please, so why not to take advantage of the "player friendly tablatures" - Middle C is slot number 5.
3) Play with the MuseScore
Imagine a patient teacher that would tell you about every tone - which slot to blow or draw, when to press slide. A teacher that would decode the difficult notes for you. A teacher that would play with you in the tempo you need - always correctly and rhythmically. A teacher that knows plenty of songs and let you play just what you like. A teacher that would serve you every day (or night) and for free...
I have found such a supportive teacher.
Please meet the MuseScore! Wonderful
tool for players on chromatic harmonica.
The installed MuseScore enables you to change the tempo, the pitch, or to play selected section repeatedly.
4) Respect your level and enjoy
"Music is not about playing every note accurate, is about how to express yourself and how to inspire others." Cy Leo
Full version in the Czech language is here.